Psoriasis Treatment in Las Vegas, NV
Psoriasis is a persistent, inflammatory skin condition. Since some psoriasis cases are so mild, most people don’t know they have it. On the other hand, psoriasis can cover large areas of the body, but dermatologists can treat even the most severe conditions.
The cause of psoriasis is unknown but research indicates that there is a connection with the body’s immune system. It is widely believed that a body’s immune system will mistakenly activate a certain type of white blood cell known as a T Cell. When activated, the T Cells trigger inflammation causing the skin to grow quite fast.
Normally the skin replaces itself within the month; alternatively, psoriasis accelerates the skin, replacing itself within three to four days.
Types of psoriasis:
- Plaque psoriasis: The most common type, appearing as patched raised, reddish skin. Patches can occur anywhere on the skin.
- Guttate psoriasis: Appears as red spots that affect children and young adults. Starts after a sore throat and clears up between a couple weeks to a few months.
- Pustuluar psoriasis: White pustules will surround red skin, located around the palms and soles. Widespread conditions are rare but severe and can be life threatening.
- Inverse psoriasis: Red lesions form where skin folds (under the armpit, breasts, around the groin, buttocks, and genital area).
- Erythrodermic psoriasis: Can cause widespread severe itching and pain accompanied by red skin. Can be life threatening if not treated.
Psoriasis cannot be cured but can be treated in a multitude of options. A person’s health, age, lifestyle, and the condition will determine the most suitable treatment. This includes topical ointments, light therapy, systemic therapy, and biologic agents.
At Lux Dermatology we will treat even your most extreme condition, and put you back in control of your skin. Schedule your appointment today by calling 702.796.SKIN (7546).